Costa Rica 2010-2011, Centro Americano. Adventures and travels of Greg L. Miller and Kelly Carter-Miller. We are posting the second part of the story. Once a week there will be new posts for anyone who might be interested. PURA VIDA. Thanks and enjoy!

Two Weeks into the Jungle

Written by Greg L. Miller 2011

ICC.  Inter Cultural Communication.  Is a theory or a model used in university text books.  The most important aspect of this theory is the following, or at least to me.  It takes an individual up to two weeks to become comfortable in a new culture.  Methods of assimilation can range from eating fine cuisine at restaurants, dancing/drinking, and taking a few courses taught within a short time.  But it gets deeper, much deeper.  Hobbies and interests become fillers which fuel the soul.  Many people fish, bird watch, hunt and much more. While traveling I did Amnesty International, competed and successfully won chess competitions in Europe, visited galleries, museums, bars and pubs, and witnessed countless castles.  As I got older a new paradigm entered my conscious.  Animal refuges, coasts, tribal communities, rain forests and the jungle.  The simpler life makes me happier and healthier.  But there is a paradox.  I love luxury and comfort.  I love finding truths, but at the end of the day I still want my jacuzzi and hot wings.  I like to hike two to three miles a day in the tropics, but I can't say no to a steamy plate of fried chicken with a coca cola overlooking the beach.  I have become happy in the last four to five days.  I will blog because I simply want to.  Writing is my passion, it courses through my spirit, elevating my awareness to a new level.  My wife can and will blog whenever she wants.  I love her stories and her drawings.  She did the last blog, I hope people check it out.

Back to my story, it's day 19 in Centro Americano.  Behold and be bedazzled, this in the inner workings of Greg L. Millers happiness.  I am who I am.  We all have different ways to get to paradise.



Walking Tamarindo Beach during low tide.  Tide changes by a hour every day.  I walk to a nearby town called Lagoosta.  It takes many miles.  My shoes do not get wet.


Long Boards.  A very delicious BBQ restaurant to eat dinner or lunch.  Every place inside looks different then the outside. Four flatscreen television sets.  To the side are surf boards with many names and dates.
 Kelly was so damn happy!  Here is the kicker.  All the food is not processed and made fresh.  Its so good...

Juices.  I love juices.  Mango juice, peach juice and Orange juice.  I drink a lot of Gatorade.  Often I walk many blocks with cake for Kelly, or maybe donuts, whatever the bakery has.


The locals, who are referred to as Ticos, need to lock up garbage from jungle critters.  We get raccoons, lizards, possums and much more on our roof.  I had to dodge some tarantulas at the front gate.  Tamarindo has a lot of wild and domestic dogs.  I don't remember that being the case last year.  The crabs are gone...so sad, but I do see many large lizards and a few snakes.  We need to be careful on this block.  Whenever it rains this type of thing happens with the sewers and drains.  It is treacherous terrain but fun.  There is no doubt of being in a third world country in Costa Rica!  Get ready for the transition.  The last few days have felt like a vacation.  I got over my two week transition from being in MI and its harsh six month long winters.  Better yet, maybe my transition deserves its own blog chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment