Costa Rica 2010-2011, Centro Americano. Adventures and travels of Greg L. Miller and Kelly Carter-Miller. We are posting the second part of the story. Once a week there will be new posts for anyone who might be interested. PURA VIDA. Thanks and enjoy!

Police Corruption and Costa Ricans coming to the Rescue

I was supposed to meet a British man three miles up the road in Puerto Viejo who was going to show me cultural aspects of the place. I missed the stop because there were no signs and no way to tell where I was. Forty five minutes later I was in a town called Cahuita. There was a police check point where they were looking for drugs from Panama and Columbia.  They asked for everyone's papers. I was caring Kelly's passport papers because of her hands being burned. I also had her ATM card because of what happened with my bank card. I made the mistake and gave it to them thinking it was mine. They removed me from the bus and searched me. After ten minutes of not understanding what the hell the issue was they gave me back my wallet, camera, and papers an half my money was gone. Another forty five more minutes passed and I found myself in a dangerous city called Limon with only enough money to get back 2/3rds of the way, thanks to the police. Without hesitation I continued south. Things are weird in Panama which is only a few miles away so I started to fall back on skills Europe taught me. The dude I was supposed to meet wasn't around and out of frustration I started ranting to a guy from Louisiana named Paul. Paul plays a guitar at bars and introduced me to a Witchdoctor named Greg who tried selling me shrooms and pot, I declined naturally, he then wanted to read my palms. Paul then showed me where the only ATM was but the ATM ran out of money three people ahead of me so I couldn't take a taxi home. I waited in line for twenty minutes. Note that this ATM has been a center focus the last few days. I then decided it was time to stop bitching and to start walking the three miles back to my place, my mind was reliving my teenager years in Illinois and I told myself it was time to buckle/cowboy up. After a mile in half it got dark and I couldn't see the road past the jungle. I had no water since 1 PM and my world started to swim but I continued on in the 90 degree temperature with 100% humidity. A grocery store suddenly showed up and I decided I needed to ask if I was on the right road because I didn't want to end up in Panama which is going through civil unrest. How was I supposed to explain my wife's passport papers and ATM card without bribery money which the cops took earlier in the day? A very cool clerk at the grocery store called, Super Mercando, told me to stop walking before I passed out.His name is Daniel. He took 2000 colognes out of his wallet and told me to finish my journey on the bus. He then went back in the store and gave me a water. I made it home and I'm tired. This coast is not like Tamarindo but the people here are nice. Everywhere I go people say this place is like voodoo Louisiana and I have to admit I think it is to. 

A couple hours later our landlords at Jungle Love restaurant made us pizzas and gave us alcohol, they told us we can pay the tab at the end of our stay which was pleasant. They and Kelly cared and told me people were looking for me throughout the community. Yamu was stationed in Germany in the Army and taught special forces. He's going to show me some techniques with the cane. I should have had it with me but I didn't because my strength is getting better. The pizzas were good and the company was great. They are Ex-patriots that still give a damn about America and its people. I feel this is a secure home but the rules of the land are more cutthroat. If Louisiana is like this then after the oil issues maybe I should visit it with Kelly. I prefer to live in colorful and a vibrant world then one of mundane greyness. We will be snorkeling and seeing a Jaguars this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment